Email is the most common platform we use for everyday communications and to send important information. If your emails are compromised, there could be serious repercussions for your business.
The good news is that it’s possible to prevent most email security issues by setting security standards for your business. Here are six security best practices to protect your email.
- Deploy Secure TLS Services for All Email Communications – Transport Layer Security (TLS) is a security protocol that encrypts email for privacy. TLS prevents unauthorized access of email when it’s in transit over internet connections. It uses two separate keys to encrypt all email – a public key, and a private key that only the recipient can access. This means that your email cannot be opened or read without the private key.
- Use Spam Filtering – “Malspam”, or malicious spam, is an emailed spam message that delivers malware to a device. Unsuspecting receivers may click on a link or open an email attachment and end up with some type of malware including ransomware, Trojans, bots, and spyware. Enterprise-grade spam filtering can help prevent most dangerous emails from even getting into your inbox.
- Enact Internal Policies and Procedures – You can mitigate errors by eliminating actions that can put you at risk. Establish email guidelines for your team and make sure you offer ongoing training to stay sharp.
- Employee Exit: Close and Forward Accounts – When an employee leaves, close their account to prevent network access. Forwarding emails to a new employee ensures work remains current.
- Don’t Send Bulk Emails with Outlook – If you use an Outlook account to send bulk emails, your email address could be flagged as spam; which can potentially put you at risk of being shut down by your provider.
- Use Password Protection – Not all email breaches happen online. It can be as simple having an unprotected laptop stolen. Require your employees who use mobile devices to secure them with strong passwords. This adds a layer of protection and prevents access to emails, contacts, and data.
Email security isn’t something to be taken lightly. Keeping your network and data safe requires creating and implementing a set of email security best practices for your team that includes regular training on the latest threats.
Applied Computer Technologies (ACT) is a full-service IT provider, specializing in Reinsurance and Finance. Services include Cloud Services, IT Services and Support, Microsoft 365 and Azure Services, Business Continuity, Telephony and Virtual CIO Services. ACT has locations in Bermuda, Cayman Islands and Canada, with customers worldwide.